To my friends in London and the UK,
It is with such sadness that I turn on the news and listen to reports of a terror attack in London. Lives, families, communities, a country and heart responses are felt around the world. We listen to political commentaries of the implications. It is human to feel alarmed, somehow always shocked-even though this is part of life in the world that we are living in. I don’t want to become immune in my heart to the suffering that evil renders. But rather than feeling afraid or becoming over involved in reviewing the reports again and again -I want these incidents to increase the resolve and bold stance that lives in me which gives me strength.
During crises, emotions can run high with conflicting perspectives on how we can solve what can feel like an incoming peril that ticks like a clock on the horizon. We challenge it in so many ways and seek a Power to overcome it and control our destiny on Earth.
I grieve on a day like today for the families and the many repercussions of the attack. I will take it in slowly but then go to the One that is our Creator and Sovereign. My faith is that He knows what is happening in the world. My own understanding in insufficient and limited. No matter how many facts I collect, or how I arrange them, it will not have the power to alter the world or summon nations.
I will often read The Psalms and roam through the words of those that called out before us.
Today, I found these words in Psalm 91 this afternoon. I wanted to include the entire Psalm, it is so moving so it follows. Love, more love and Relentless Love that does not bow to evil.
- Psalm 91 King James Version
- 1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.abide: Heb. lodge
- 2I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
- 3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
- 4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
- 5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
- 6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
- 7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
- 8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
- 9Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
- 10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
- 11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
- 12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
- 13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.adder: or, asp
- 14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
- 15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
- 16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.long…
- Heb. length of days
Crown Copyright in UK